ICONIC HOUSES is the international network connecting architecturally significant houses and artists’ homes and studios from the 20th century that are open to the public as house museum. The platform also focuses on conservation, management, policy and cooperation.
The Iconic Houses Network
20th century architect's houses and modern house museums form a unique category of sites open to the public. Whereas the buildings are located all around the world the professional issues that concern running the sites are more or less the same. Research initiatives and co-operation with universities and expert teams, restoration issues at large, audience development, caring of the collections and display strategies as well as temporary exhibitions programs represent some of the issues of mutual interest.
In 2012 a group of modern house museums started the Iconic Houses network.
The aim of the network is to provide a platform for professional discussion: to share not only the best practices but also encourage each other to develop new activities. We have lots of potential together. The first step is this website with 150 Iconic Houses that are open to the public.
The Iconic Houses Network brings professionals and sites together from all the corners of the world. This professional forum encourages sharing information and best practices as well as creating new and fruitful partnerships between organisations small and large.
Iconic Houses Foundation is a Dutch non-profit ANBI. You can support our activities in a tax-efficient way.
Dutch donors can download in this link below the form Periodieke Gift in order to claim the maximum tax benefits allowed by Dutch tax law for their contributions.
U.S.-based donors can also support our activities in a tax-efficient way through a contribution to the American Friends of Iconic Houses.
Iconic Houses Foundation
Amsterdam Chamber of Commerce Registration number: 55671284
Ertskade 105, 1019 BB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
+31 6 22 69 07 11, www.iconichouses.org
info [at] iconichouses [dot] org
Iconic Houses Foundation
Natascha Drabbe M.A., Founder
Director Van Schijndel House
The network will be run by the Iconic Houses Foundation.
The Advisory Board of the Foundation includes:
Iveta Cerna, Director Villa Tugendhat, Brno, Czech Republic
Janice Lyle, Director Sunnylands Center & Gardens, Rancho Mirage, USA
Susanna Pettersson, Director Ateneum Art Museum Helsinki, Finland
Lynda Waggoner, Director Fallingwater, Mill Run, USA
We want to thank our ambassadors
Aaron Betsky, Dean of the Frank Lloyd Wright School of Architecture (USA).
Jean-Louis Cohen Professor, Architecture Theoretician (France/USA).
Kenneth Frampton Architect, critic, historian and the Ware Professor of Architecture at the Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation at Columbia University New York (USA).
Hans van Heeswijk Architect (Netherlands).
Wessel de Jonge, Co-founder of DOCOMOMO international (Netherlands).
Mateo Kries, director Vitra Design Museum (Germany).
Glen Murcutt, Architect, 2002 Pritzker Architecture Prize Winner (Australia).
Raymond Neutra, Son of famed architect Richard Neutra (USA).
Criteria to be included on the website:
1. The house must be recognized for its significance in the development of modern architecture of the 20th century.
2. The house must be designed by an architect who played an influential role in the development of 20th century architecture as demonstrated through scholarly publications.
3. The house must be in its original condition or restored to its original state. The house may not be significantly renovated or expanded in a way that negatively impacts the architects’ original vision.
4. The house must be available for public visitation either through regular hours of operation or by appointment. Information regarding hours of operation and any restrictions such as exterior viewing only, must be published along with physical address and contact information including email address and telephone number.
If the house meets these criteria, the organization running the house can participate in the Iconic Houses Network in different membership categories. This explains why some houses are presented more extensively than others.
The foundation's objective is:
promoting the preservation and cultural heritage of modern house museums, architects’ houses and artists' homes and studios, collectively referred to as 'ICONIC HOUSES'.
The foundation seeks to achieve these goals by:
1. maintaining a network of owners or directors of Iconic Houses;
2. bringing Iconic Houses to the attention of the general public with every available communication tool;
3. advancing knowledge about maintaining Iconic Houses and about preventing mutilation and demolition;
4. identifying, creating and maintaining documentation of Iconic Houses;
5. organizing conferences;
6. raising funds for projects that aim to support the Iconic Houses' mission, and projects that can help achieve its mission;
7. moreover, everything that can directly or indirectly relate to or assist the mission, in the broadest sense of the word.
Meet the Volunteers
|Holger de Kat is an architect with a strong background and interest in preserving our built heritage. He is active to include house museums from Russia in the Iconic Houses network.|
|Klaas-Jan Visser is a tax specialist assisting Iconic Houses with streamlining our international fundraising efforts, notably ensuring that local donors can where possible access local tax facilities.|
Alvar Aalto Foundation
The Annenberg Foundation Trust at Sunnylands
Brno City Museum - Villa Tugendhat
Centraal Museum Utrecht - Rietveld Schröder House
Western Pennsylvania Conservancy - Fallingwater
David & Gladys Wright House Foundation - David Wright House
Fondation Le Corbusier - Maison La Roche
Fonds de dotation Maison Bernard - Maison Bernard
Fundació Catalunya - La Pedrera
Gomis Bertrand Family - La Ricarda
Grundstücks- und Gebäudewirtschafts- Gesellschaft m.b.h. - Villa Esche
Kingston University - Dorich House Museum
Mart van Schijndel Foundation - Van Schijndel House
Paul Rudolph Heritage Foundation - The Modulightor Building
Het Nieuwe Instituut – Sonneveld House
Nasjonalmuseet - Villa Stenersen
Weizmann Institute of Science – Weizmann House
Monique van Dongen
Sigrid-Joan Catherine Hemels
Pieter van der Meer
Machteld de Vos van Steenwijk
Rein and Simone van Wylick